To stay legal while on the road, you will need Primary Trucking Liability Insurance as a minimum. This is usually the most costly portion of any trucking company’s insurance package. Primary liability will pay for injuries to other drivers on the road and any damage to public property that may be caused from an accident. This coverage is mandated by state and federal agencies at a minimum of $750,000 combined single limit. However, we recommend that you consider purchasing higher limits as truck accidents can easily cause damages in the millions. Most freight brokers and shippers will require you to carry at least $1,000,000 in coverage. Hazardous material haulers such as gasoline and chemical haulers are required to carry $5,000,000 in liability coverage.

Non-Trucking Liability Insurance (NTLI) provides coverage in case you cause an accident while you are using your vehicle for non-business or personal use other than transporting goods or merchandise. Non-Trucking Liability coverage does not apply when you are pulling a loaded trailer, operating on behalf of a motor carrier / leasing company, or using a vehicle for any revenue generating purpose. These types of activities are covered by primary liability coverage. If a motor carrier is providing your primary liability coverage, their coverage will not apply when you are not under dispatch and you need non-trucking liability coverage.

As a common or contract carrier, you are responsible for the goods you transport. This exposure is covered by Motor Truck Cargo Insurance. This coverage protects you if you’re legally liable for damage, destruction, or other loss to a customer’s property while in your possession. The cargo policy can also contain provisions to insure the cargo when it is in your terminal or warehouse.  The Motor Truck Cargo Insurance policy can be tailored to meet your operations and exposure. Policies often contain significant exclusions that create many situations where there might be no coverage. The policy is purchased with a maximum load limit per vehicle. Under-insuring the load can prove catastrophic to you in the event of a claim.

Trucking Physical Damage Insurance is a general term for a group of insurance coverages that protect your vehicle. This general term includes Collision insurance, a Comprehensive insurance or the more limited Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverage (CAC) insurance.  Trucking insurance can be extremely complex!  Allow a SureSouth professional help insure you are adequately covered.


Other Commercial Offerings:





SureSouth Partners

3316 Bemiss Rd
Valdosta, GA 31605

(877) 878-6737
(877) 878-6737